Sunday 11 December 2011

Blueberry Pie

BLUEBERRY PIE
(with Date-Walnut Crust)

Crust:
2 cups walnuts
1 cup dates
1/2 cup coconut

Blend nuts and dates in processor until they are crumbly and sticky. I added an 1/8 cup water to help the dates blend. Then add the coconut and blend again.

Smoosh the mixture into a pie plate and refrigerate.

(If you happen to have 2 pie plates, many recipes recommend pressing the 2nd pie plate on top of the first to make it even. I only have one so I used my fingers and a spoon)

Pie Filling:
6 cups of blueberries (2 cups or so pureed)
1/2 cup apple butter
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 Tbsp lemon juice

Put berries, apple butter, and salt in a pot and start to heat. When you have a little bit of cool-warm juice (not hot) pour that juice into a bowl with the cornstarch. Whisk the cornstarch and juice until it is a nice smooth liquid then add it to the berries. Bring the berries to a rolling boil for a minute or two until it looks like thick jam, then remove from heat. Add the lemon juice, stir, then pour into your nut crust. Chill in the fridge for 4-5 hours.

I top mine with coconut cream, which is sweet with no added sugar. I buy it in a can or carton of coconut milk and let the cream separate from the juice, then I mix some of the juice back in until it is the consistency I want.

ALTERNATIVES:
You can, of course, substitute pretty much any kind of fruit for the blueberries. If you use something like strawberries, there is no need to puree any of the fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment